Yohane Mbeeya Moono
Switzerland like Zambia is a landlocked country in the heart of Europe. Switzerland is a peaceful haven for most asylum seekers. This because the country once provided the Jews who fled from the holocaust of Adolf Hitler a safe haven. It is also home to many multinational organisations such as the World Health Organization, International Labour Organization, FIFA, UEFA and many others.
Switzerland is the world’s best country to conduct business in and is considered one of the most trustworthy countries in the world. This is a confidence booster that this country holds above other countries. Additionally, the country is better known for its Political and Economic stability, Transparency and Equality. The country has been said to without a specific owner. This is the kind of Equality that Switzerland provides to many citizens of different countries from around the world.
Why is Zambia being Compared to Switzerland?
Zambi is a former British colony that has enjoyed peace since attaining independence in 1964. The country has also played a key role in brokering peace deals for its neighbouring countries that have been beseeched with wars and civil strife. The Lusaka Accord which helped bring stability to the Democratic Republic of Congo remains one of the highlights of Zambia’s efforts to broker peace in the Southern and Central African regions.
Additionally, Zambia has successfully held peaceful transitions of power from the ruling party to the opposition upon successful elections. In 1991, Kenneth Kaunda handed over the instruments of power to Fredrick Titus Jacob chiluba after being in power for 27 years. In 2011, incumbent Rupiah Bwezani Banda handed over the instrument of power to Michael Chilufya Sata and recently in 2021, incumbent Edgar Chagwa Lungu handed over the instruments of power to Hakainde Hichilema. It is these peaceful transitions after successful elections that puts Zambia above the rest.
Zambia has been in the news as being the first country in the pandemic era to default on the Debt. And it is public domain that Zambia seeks a Debt Restructuring Programme in order to get an IMF bailout package. Zambia seeks to have her debt suspended for three years then worked on revamping the economy which was ravaged by the negative effects of the Covid-19. The New Dawn government has clearly outlined that Trade and Investments are going to helped put the economy back on track and the country has scored a number of positives. Some Investments have been announced
1. The opening of the Nickel Mine in Kalumbila District which is going to make Zambia the largest producer of Nickel in Africa and creating employment opportunities for over 700 Zambians
2. The 1 3 Billion Dollars into the expansion of the Kansanshi Mine in Solwezi of North-western province. This is a huge investment in the sector that was almost stagnant for some years without investment.
3. The 70 Million Dollars exploration programme by the Anglo-American through ARC Minerals Limited
4. The Opening of the Kalene Hills Fruit Company which is going to employ over 1000 Zambians in the quest for value addition to the Agricultural Produce. This is a Government owned project through the Industrial Development Corporation.
5. The 100 Million Dollars Expansion project of the ZAMBEEF farms in Mpongwe District on the Copperbelt which is expected to boost production on the farm and the milling plant.
6. The 80 Million Dollars Expansion project by the Zambia Breweries. This is going to boost production and help to create employment opportunities during the expansion phase of the project.
7. The revamping of operations at Nitrogen Chemicals of Zambia, Munushi Banana Plantation and the Kawambwa Tea Company are in line to make Zambia a regional hub for economic activities
These and many other investments that country the country has received, it is safe to say that the is earmarked for investments in various sectors of the economy. The country remains a peaceful haven and that is an ingredient most investors seek as they plan to invest in a country.
With the Republican President His Excellency President Hakainde Hichilema declaring that the country is open for business. Zambia is definitely poised to be compared to Switzerland. The Government is trying by all means to make Zambia the most landlinked country to conduct business in.
Zambia provides exciting opportunities for investors to invest in different sectors of the Zambian economy. This stands to provide a win win situation for both the investors and the government.